What is conversion rate optimization (CRO)
The main objective of every website is to generate enough traffic and get potential customers to make a transaction (a purchase, request for information …). However, less than 3% of users who visit a website become end customers. If we want this figure to increase, we need to analyze our website to plan actions that help us optimize our conversion rate.
What is the conversion rate?
The conversion rate is the percentage of users who perform the action we want on a website. While it generally refers to those who make a purchase, this is not always the case. A conversion can also be to register on a website, subscribe to a blog or newsletter, download a document or fill out a contact form.
The conversion rate is, therefore, the result of dividing the number of users who perform an action we want, among the total number of users who visit the web. In a previous article we explained in detail how to calculate the conversion rate.
In an ecommerce portal, we know that we need to capture more traffic and make those customers who have already bought repeat. In addition to this, we must not forget that one of the best actions to increase sales is to develop a strategy that allows us to increase the conversion rate since a small increase in this implies a very considerable increase in sales. If, for example, our conversion rate is 1%, achieving 0.5% more means selling 50% more.
Why do I need to improve the conversion rate?
Let’s see some advantages that we know about the conversion rate on our online sales platform:
- We understand our customers better : Thanks to this analysis process we can know what customers we have, what product they are looking for and thus offer them a more accurate product or service.
- We increase the number of customers : If we know our customers, we can offer them an experience that fits what they need, and this will make us have a greater number of customers, and also be more satisfied
- More satisfied customers = more sales . By offering a product or service suitable to the needs of our customers and that, in addition, is easily accessible through the web, we will have more possibilities for your navigation to translate into a sales process.
- We improve the design of our website without risks. We can make incremental improvements in the design of our website without major costs, checking how customers react with each initiative, gradually.
- Google improves the positioning of your page. If Google perceives that the number of customers of your website is increasing, it will offer us a better position.
Steps to follow to optimize the conversion rate
The process of increasing the conversion of our digital business, in order to increase the percentage of visitors that receive our website and make a purchase, registration or subscription, is called conversion rate optimization, a process also known by its acronym in English as CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization).
We have already seen what the conversion rate is and how important it is for our website. But now what do we have to do if we want to optimize the conversion rate?
1. Performance analysis of our website
For a website to work optimally, there are many factors that we must take into account. There are a lot of tools that analyze the websites and their results provide us with techniques and “how-to” documentation of how to proceed to optimize the site. Some of these tools are Woorank , PageSpeed Insights , Pingdom …
In a well-optimized web page with good content, it will be more complicated for the end user to immediately leave it, and by improving our bounce rate we will also be improving the positioning of our website.
2. Implement changes gradually
All changes that we need to incorporate into our website must be made gradually to avoid risks and to locate what aspects of our website we must modify, analyzing the results of each change that we implement individually.
CRO practices for an Ecommerce
It is one of the first steps we must take before using any other optimization task. We will perform a usability test aimed at the target of the website in order to analyze their behavior and improve navigation to be clear and concise. If the customer is not able to find the product easily, it does not end up being acquired and the conversion ratio does not increase. The objective of this practice is to improve on the website in order to achieve an optimal user experience that offers us a high level of usability.
Optimized Landing Page
We have to apply techniques that allow us to have a proper design of our website , which prevents our potential customers who find our site through a search engine, find the relevant content and do not return to the results page.
Some practices that we can apply to the design of our website are:
- Clear and concise content
- Striking headlines and use of keywords that attract customers.
- CTA buttons that visually highlight and streamline the purchase process.
- Concise forms, including only those fields for the information we deem strictly necessary.
- Images and videos of the products: use images that represent the product faithfully as well as videos that allow the user to know how the products are used and their functionalities.
- Eliminate advertising as much as possible, as they cause a traffic leak from our site in favor of third parties, as well as a deviation from user attention on our product.
- You can read other tips to create a perfect landing page in one of our previous articles.
Technical performance of our website
An improvement in technical performance means reducing the loading time of the pages of our website as much as we can. This improvement technique affects both browsing the site, its pages, as well as the purchase process. Although we improve other aspects of the web, these improvements will not imply an improvement in the conversion rate if we have to wait a long time for this to load. In fact, the long waiting times in the loading of the websites, is directly related to a wide reduction in the conversion rate, since in addition to leaving the page, we damage the confidence of our users by providing a slow service. For Google, loading speed is one as one of the main SEO factors that influence the positioning of websites.